Summer Internship Program
The Port of Palm Beach is offering a summer internship program for 2023 high school graduates and college students interested in gaining work experience. The paid internship program provides comprehensive training and hands-on experience in specific departments with additional opportunities to learn about various aspects of the Port and its operations beyond the intern’s primary duties. There are positions available in the areas of accounting and finance, administration, engineering, facilities/ railroad, hospitality, information technology, planning, port management, public relations and communications, records management and security. All interns will have the opportunity to train in two separate departments if they choose too.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Graduated from high school in 2023 or enrolled in a trade school, college or university (Academic credit may be granted)
- Must be 18 years and over
- Current resident of Palm Beach County
- One page resume
- 250-word essay on “Why you should be selected for the program”
- Certification of a 2.75 GPA or better and enrollment, such as transcripts
- At least (1) letter of recommendation from a school guidance counselor and/or advisor
The purpose of the Port of Palm Beach Internship Program is to introduce interns to varies career fields within the Port industry and teach them valuable skills that can easily translate to any career.
Applications will be accepted for the Summer Intern Program beginning April 3, 2023. Applicants can select up to three areas of study when applying.
Completed applications and supporting documentation can be submitted in one of four ways:
- Apply Online
- Email Public Information Officer Yaremi Farinas
- Drop-off application and supporting documents at the Port Administrative Office located at One East 11th Street. Ste. 600 Riviera Beach, FL. 33404
- Mail the application and supporting documents to Yaremi Farinas, One East 11th Street. Ste. 600 Riviera Beach, FL. 33404
The Port Executive Director and department supervisors will review submissions. Finalists will then be asked to attend a “Meet and Greet” at the Port Maritime Office Complex on Friday, May 19, 2023 at 2 PM (subject to change). During the event, department supervisors will interview the candidates and provide insight on the department’s roles and responsibilities.
Selected candidates will be required to attend an "Intern Orientation" on Friday, June 9, 2023. Interns shall bring a government issued identification card and social security card with them to the orientation. A pre-employment drug test will be conducted on this day.
Work schedules depend on the needs of the hiring division and the intern’s availability. Typically, interns are scheduled to work 35 hours per week Monday through Friday 8:30 AM- 4:30 PM. The internship will last six weeks and interns will be paid $13.00 an hour, totaling to 35 hours a week.
Every week during the program, we will host a “Port Activity Day” where interns will have a chance to explore different terminals and learn about the career opportunities at the port.
Interns may attend the monthly Port of Palm Beach Commission Meetings and have occasions throughout their stay to attend community events, meet Port and industry executives, business leaders, governmental officials and dignitaries.